NIOST researchers are leaders in the field. We ask important questions on topics and issues that are critical to out-of-school time programming, quality for all, and investment of resources.
We partner with others to ensure that the right players are part of these valuable inquiries. And we make sure you have access to meaningful findings. The answers we uncover help partners like you to rely on quality data and thoughtful recommendations as you develop and enhance your programs.
Our out-of-school-time research addresses:
Quality and OutcomesHow do you know what makes a high quality program? And what does that really mean to your youth, your staff, and your partners? NIOST has long been a leader in assessing best practices for the field overall, sharing our expertise through our publications, and through comprehensive research and evaluation of individual programs. It’s imperative that programs are of the highest quality to ensure the best outcomes for youth engagement and achievement, for staff development and retention, and for successful collaborations.
- We are collecting data from afterschool programs in the Wyoming Afterschool Alliance which is helping their staff to build internal capacity to improve quality on issues specific to their individual sites.
Research clients include:
- American Museum of Natural History
- Boston After School and Beyond
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention and Vida Health
- City Span and Noyce Foundation
- C.S. Mott Foundation and Wyoming Afterschool Alliance
- Providence After School Alliance
- Reebok International
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation