Follow the Healthy Day Checklist and Bring Healthy OST to Life
January 23, 2020
By Daniel W. Hatcher, MPH, Director of Community Partnerships, Alliance for a Healthier Generation
For over 10 years, the Healthy Out-of-School Time (HOST) Coalition and our partners have worked together to support before-school, afterschool and summer camp educators in bringing the National Afterschool Association (NAA) Standards for Healthy Eating and Physical Activity (HEPA) to life. From the successful Commit to Health campaign, which impacted nearly 500,000 youth, to a suite of easy to use resources including a new printable self-assessment, the Coalition has accomplished much.
As we enter a new decade, we are excited to engage even more partners in the healthy OST movement; in particular, to leverage our progress advancing healthy eating and physical activity to lift up social-emotional health in support of the Whole Child.
Whether you have just a few minutes or want to become a HEPA champion, below are a few ways to join the movement this year and help all children thrive.
If You Have Under 5 Minutes
- Read the latest HOST HEPA Roundup filled with news and opportunities from partner organizations.
- Follow the HOST Coalition on Twitter for up-to-date events and activities.
- Sign up for the Eating Healthy at Home Campaign to receive new family engagement resources from Healthier Generation.
If You Have 10 Minutes
- Spread the word that #AfterschoolWorks and “Parents Want Healthy Options” with infographics from the Afterschool Alliance.
- Plan your next #SelfCareSunday adventure!
- Take a mindfulness break and explore the Healthy Day Checklist.