The latest in our regular roundups of healthy eating and physical activity news from HOST members and others.
- Register today for the Food Research and Action Center's National Anti-Hunger Policy Conference, March 5 to 7, 2017. Included in the registration is preconference training on the new, healthier CACFP Meal Patterns, March 4, 2017, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. ET, which will provide participants with the knowledge, skills, and resources to successfully implement the new healthier meal patterns. Continuing education units, annual training hours and a certificate of attendance will be available. Space is limited, so register early.
- Register to join the Safe Routes to School National Partnership's webinar "Step by Step: How to Start a Walking School Bus Program at Your School," January 11, 2017, from 1 to 2 p.m. ET.
- A number of HOST member organizations and others have released a statement asserting that "better nutrition and active play in early care and education is critical to healthy futures," and recommending "three key strategies to accelerate progress and improve the health of the next generation."
- The Food Research and Action Center profiles Claire McGagh, an AmeriCorp VISTA program member who is currently working with FRAC’s Maryland Hunger Solutions to educate communities on the application process for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).
- The Kids' Safe and Healthful Foods Project of the Pew Charitable Trusts and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation has released a new report on how schools are getting kids to eat healthy foods.
- The American Heart Association asks "Is Childhood Obesity an Issue in Your Home?" and offers some tips for parents to help kids avoid this trend.
- Alliance for a Healthier Generation offers tips from their staff as well as fellow HOST member Healthy Kids Out of School on ways coaches can help create healthier communities.
- No Kid Hungry shares tips from their group of Breakfast Champions -- school nutrition directors, administrators, and teachers who are committed to increasing access to school breakfast after the school bell rings.