HOST Healthy Eating and Physical Activity Roundup, August 12, 2017
October 4, 2017
The latest in our regular roundups of healthy eating and physical activity news from HOST members and others.
Policy and Practice
- Alliance for a Healthier Generation reminds us that Youth Service America is currently accepting applications for $1,000 planning grants from organizations who want to lead community service projects during Global Youth Service Day (April 20-22, 2018).
- Alliance for a Healthier Generation recognized 323 schools as America’s Healthiest Schools.
Research and Results
- No Kid Hungry has launched Hunger in Our Schools, a new report on kids in America who face hunger. Here's an infographic of their key findings.
- A new study in the Journal of the American Heart Association finds that children from socially and economically disadvantaged families and neighborhoods may be at higher risk for heart attack and stroke in later life. Clyde Yancy, M.D., American Heart Association past president and chief of cardiology at Northwestern University notes, however, "Fortunately, we have the tools to improve heart health across the lifespan by ensuring every child has healthy foods to eat and safe places to be active. Community leaders need to focus on giving kids a healthy start from birth, healthy schools as they grow up, and healthy communities for families to thrive."
Tips and Tricks
- The National Farm to School Network shares "65 Free Farm to School Recipes From The Chef Ann Foundation." Tasty!
Read More Roundup News