HOST Healthy Eating and Physical Activity Roundup, December 14, 2017
December 14, 2017
The latest in our regular roundups of healthy eating and physical activity news from HOST members and others.
- The Food Research & Action Center will be holding a conference call on "Recruiting and Retaining Summer Meal Program Sites," January 4, 2018 - 1:00 p.m. ET. Learn about best practices, training and communication strategies to increase the number of sites and sponsors engaged and participating, as well as strategies to support and mentor new ones.
- Afterschool Alliance profiles fellow HOST member A World Fit for Kids! and its CEO, Normandie Nigh, who talks about her organization's approach that addresses the whole child by linking healthy bodies with healthy minds.
- Safe Routes to School National Partnership shares the story of Robert L Stevens Elementary in Santa Rosa, California, a low-income school in an urban area, which has many students that regularly walk or bike to school -- and some of the most successful and long-running walking school buses in the country.
- Salud America reports on how the H-E-B Body Adventure exhibit at the Witte Museum in San Antonio uses peer modeling, gaming technologies, physical activity, and more to create a learning experiencefor children and adults, while also collecting data to describe the aggregate health of a large cross-section of youth.
Tips and Ideas
- Wendy Bolger, director of program innovation for No Kid Hungry, tells us "How Small Nudges Lead to More Kids Eating School Breakfast" and invites you to join the Breakfast Nudges Challenge Facebook group, "a safe space for you to share and discuss what about School Breakfast and Breakfast Nudges is important to you and your school."
Read More Roundup News