HOST Healthy Eating and Physical Activity Roundup, February 22, 2017
February 22, 2017
The latest in our regular roundups of healthy eating and physical activity news from HOST members and others.
News and Research
- The Food Research & Action Center (FRAC) has released its annual School Breakfast Scorecard, which ranks states on the basis of participation of low-income children in the national School Breakfast Program. It finds that participation rates are continuing to rise across the country.
- The Food Research & Action Center and Feeding America are co-sponsoring the National Anti-Hunger Policy Conference, March 5 to 7, 2017, in Washington, D.C.
- Join Action for Healthy Kids' webinar on February 22, 2017, from 3:00 - 4:00 p.m. to learn more aboutschool breakfast grant opportunities for the 2017-2018 school year.
Tips and Ideas
- Alliance for a Healthier Generation shares four ideas for ways "to strengthen linkages between school health and healthy afterschool." Alliance for a Healthier Generation also alerts us to a resource from another HOST member, the National Recreation and Park Association's guide to "Reducing Food Waste in Out-of-School Time Best Practices Guide."
- The American Heart Association is offering a free, downloadable Simple Cooking with Heart for Kids Demo Kit with instructions and talking points for "an educational and entertaining hands-on cooking demonstration for kids."