The latest in our regular roundups of healthy eating and physical activity news from HOST members and others.
News and Successes
- July is Park and Recreation Month, and Active Living Research is urging people to share stories and photos on social media with the hashtag #PlayOnJuly. They've also created a handy infographic, in partnership with the Physical Activity Policy Research Network Plus and the National Recreation and Park Association about how parks and recreation programs are improving community health.
- Even though school is out, school kitchens are still helping improve community health and in some cases, putting money back into student meal programs, says the Kids' Safe and Healthful Foods Project.
- A "Homework Diner" in western North Carolina is helping middle school students improve their grades through both tutoring and good meals.
- SaludToday sheds light on "School Lunch Shaming: A 'Hidden' Type of Bullying for Latino Kids."
Tips and Ideas
- It's Time Texas reminds us of active things to do in the great outdoors.
- Alliance for a Healthier Generation shares some fun ideas for a healthy backyard beach party (even for city dwellers).
- A viral Facebook post claiming that texting the word “FOOD” to 877-877 returns a nearby location where free summer meals are available for kids is true, says No Kid Hungry.