HOST Healthy Eating And Physical Activity Roundup, March 22, 2019
March 22, 2019
The latest in our regular roundups of healthy eating and physical activity news from HOST members and others.
News and Ideas
- Park and recreation agencies have committed to implementing the National Afterschool Association's (NAA) Healthy Eating and Physical Activity (HEPA) standards, developed by HOST, at their OST sites by joining the National Recreation and Park Association's (NRPA's) Commit to Health campaign, writes NAA. NRPA shares more in their own podcast about the impact of these standards on youth health.
- Food Research & Action Center President Jim Weill offers his thoughts on President Trump’s fiscal year 2020 budget and its impact on the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), child nutrition programs, and the 21st Century Community Learning Center out-of-school-time program.
- March is National Nutrition Month, and Alliance for a Healthier Generation offers "4 Healthy Tips" for this month--and year round.
Profiles and Progress
- Marathon Kids profiles Coach Kelly Gough, who runs the AGS Marathon Kids running club at Au Gres-Sims Schools, in Au Gres, Michigan.
- Salud America share the stories of four communities leading the way for walking and public transit.
- Dr. Amelie G. Ramirez, director of Salud America! at UT Health San Antonio, was selected for the Bluebonnet Award of the Texas Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Dr. Ramirez currently directs the Salud America! national multimedia program, which supports a network of 200,000 community and school leaders to drive healthy policy and system changes Among her other accomplishments, she led a Salud America! research review on healthy food access.