HOST Healthy Eating And Physical Activity Roundup, May 14, 2018
May 14, 2018
The latest in our regular roundups of healthy eating and physical activity news from HOST members and others.
- The Food Research & Action Center (FRAC) is celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP). Created by Congress in 1968, CACFP today provides meals to over 4 million children every day.
- Alliance for a Healthier Generation offers its own ideas for "Three Ways to Celebrate CACFP's Birthday.
Tips and Resources
- Healthy Schools Campaign and Alliance for a Healthier Generation have released a new guide to "Using Needs Assessments to Connect Learning + Health: Opportunities in the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA)," highlighting the ways that school needs assessments, such as those required by ESSA, can help identify, understand, and address health conditions that contribute to poor academic performance and chronic absenteeism.
- The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation's Culture of Health Blog explains what the Food and Drug Administration's new rules requiring calorie counts and other nutrition information on menus will mean for consumers, and how they can help address childhood obesity and other health concerns.
- The United Way shares ideas for "What Every Kid Needs to Do to be Healthier."
- The Alliance for a Healthier Generation and the Partnership for a Healthier America have launched a new collaboration with the American Beverage Association and the National Association of Convenience Stores to help consumers reduce sugar consumed from beverages.
- San Antonio has joined the Cities Connecting Children to Nature Initiative to improve local access to green spaces. Exposure to nature has been shown to boost children’s academic performance, physical activity and mental health.