HOST Healthy Eating And Physical Activity Roundup, May 2, 2018
May 2, 2018
The latest in our regular roundups of healthy eating and physical activity news from HOST members and others.
- The Food Research & Action Center's next Summer Meals Matter Conference Call is on "Keeping Participation Up All Summer," May 3, 2018 - 1:00 p.m. ET. Learn about ways to maintain momentum during the summer, such as planning inclusive family and community events.
- It's Time Texas invites Texans to "Sweat Healthier" during Healthy Texas Week, May 7 to 13.
- The National League of Cities (NLC) is bringing 14 cities to Kansas City, Missouri, in late May to participate in the CHAMPS Cities Combating Hunger Leadership Academy, The cities were chosen because of their commitment to reduce hunger and strengthen or expand afterschool or summer meal programs, and their potential to develop strong citywide campaigns to address hunger. They will become eligible for grants and technical assistance to meet their goals.
- Park and Recreation Month isn't until July, but you can start planning now with these resources from the National Recreation and Park Association.
Tips and Inspiration
- Salud America! shares the story of personal trainer Paul Rezaei, who has been helping his San Antonio community get fit by launching Work Out, Help Out. The nonprofit hosts volunteer community service events, where a personal trainer also provides physical activity “breaks” for volunteers.
- Alliance for a Healthier Generation shares ways to brainstorm ideas on fun and effective healthy eating and physical activity ideas for the summer.
- The National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA), along with The Trust for Public Land (TPL) and the Urban Land Institute (ULI), has awarded grants to 12 cities to support city planning efforts that help increase access to high-quality parks within a 10-minute walk.
- Build Our Kids' Success' "Play of the Day" is the "Squat Jump Tabata."