HOST HEPA Roundup, June 6, 2016
June 6, 2016
The latest in our regular roundups of healthy eating and physical activity news from HOST members and others.
Tips and Ideas
- Alliance for a Healthier Generation spoke with four afterschool leaders--all part of HOST member organizations--about supporting and empowering girls in sports and other physical activities.
- It's Time Texas suggests healthy substitutions to make when cooking.
- The Pew Charitable Trusts explore how activity-based fundraising events can both generate revenue and also promote student and community well-being, reinforcing healthy eating habits.
Policy and Politics
- Afterschool Alliance discusses the impact on afterschool programs of the new federal standards for meals and snacks provided under the Child and Adult Care Feeding Program (CACFP).
- Several HOST members, including Afterschool Alliance, the American Heart Association, and No Kid Hungry share concerns about the House version of a bill to reauthorize the federal child nutrition programs, including the CACFP At-Risk Afterschool Meals program and the Summer Food Service Program.
- The El Paso Times reports on a Mission: Readiness report that found 73 percent of young adults in Texas cannot serve in the military because they are overweight and unhealthy.