HOST HEPA Roundup, October 5, 2015
October 5, 2015
The latest in our regular roundups of healthy eating and physical activity news from HOST members and others.
- HOST member After-School All-Stars has partnered with the Mondelēz International Foundation to help at-risk middle school students across the U.S. The partnership will allow After-School All-Stars to expand the nutrition education, cooking classes, urban gardening, and other opportunities it offers these students, and to track students’ progress through its new program evaluation department.
- New HOST member BOKS (Build Our Kids Success) just celebrated its fifth birthday.
- Councilmember Gino Campana of Fort Collins, Colorado, guest posts at the National League of Cities blog about her experience at the White House for a celebration of First Lady Michelle Obama Let’s Move! Cities, Towns and Counties initiative.
- October is National Farm to School Month, an observance that since 2010 has raised awareness of "the importance of farm to school as a means to improve child nutrition, support local economies and educate communities about the origin of their food." The National Farm to School Network shares ways to join in the fun and learning.
Tips and Activities
- The American Heart Association offers ideas for "How to Have a Heart-Healthy Halloween."
- Alliance for a Healthier Generation shares some yoga poses that can help people commit to 10 more minutes of physical activity per day.
- It's Time Texas profiles Austin-based Foodie Kids, a cooking school just for children.