SAYO-S&T: Survey of Academic and Youth Outcomes for Staff and Teachers
SAYO-S&T is one of three research-based measurement tools that make up the APAS System, a field-tested, user-friendly suite of evaluation tools built with OST in mind.
Use SAYO-S&T to measure any of eight youth outcome areas that are scientifically linked to long-term positive youth development and academic and life success. SAYO-S&T is flexible -- it can be tailored to measure the specific youth outcomes that are linked to your program goals:
- Behavior in the Program/Classroom
- Engagement in Learning
- Relations with Adults or Peers
- Problem Solving
- Academic Performance
How it works:
SAYO-S&T relies on pre- and post-participation surveys that are completed by OST staff (SAYO-S) and academic teachers (SAYO-T) to collect data about youth participants. Each outcome area is measured by asking staff and teachers to respond to questions related to observable youth behaviour.
SAYO-S&T is designed to be used on its own or with the APT tool, which (along with SAYO-Y) make up the APAS System. For an overview of how SAYO-S&T fits into the APAS System, watch our Intro to APAS video.
The entire APAS System, including SAYO-S&T is free to use at your program site after you complete the required pre-requisite training program for each tool. For a small fee, we will train you and your staff, either in-person or online, to record detailed data using the APAS System and to use that data to create an action plan. Together, we will help you build an OST program that works.
If you are interested in SAYO-S&T for your program site, you can receive training for the entire APAS System, or training only for SAYO-S&T. Training options for SAYO-S&T include:
- One-day onsite training
- Online training subscription - includes unlimited access to online training portal for 1 year
- Onsite training as part of the 2-day APAS training
Whichever option you choose, SAYO-S&T training will show you:
- How SAYO-S&T can be used to increase positive youth outcomes within your program
- How to plan your SAYO evaluation, customize the tools, and prepare staff and teachers to complete the surveys
- How to distrubute surveys and collect data from SAYO
- How to understand and use your findings
- How SAYO-S&T fits into the APAS System
Who is it for?
- SAYO-S&T on its own or within the APAS System has been used by afterschool directors, supervisors, curriculum and education coordinators, and 21st Century Community Learning Center personnel
- SAYO-S&T is recommended for well-established programs (+1 year) that offer a variety of programming to 25 or more youth participants who attend on a regular basis
- It is for programs serving youth in Grades K-12
- Start-up programs and those experiencing high staff turnover, facility changes and/or major shifts in program focus may instead be interested in APT
The APAS System tools (APT, SAYO-S&T, SAYO-Y) are free to use at a program site after completion of required training. A program site is defined as a physical address where programming for youth occurs.