Download the entire issue of Afterschool Matters Fall 2013 as a pdf. (55 pages)
Download individual articles as pdfs:
- Learning from Science: Case Studies of Science Offerings in Afterschool Programs
Patrik Lundh, Ann House, Barbara Means, Christopher J. Harris (9 pgs)
Analysis of nine afterschool sites in California, identification of key constraints - time available for science, staff backgrounds and instructional materials.
- Youth as Community Science Experts in Green Energy Technology
Angela Calabrese Barton, Daniel Birmingham, Takumi Sato, Scott Calabrese Barton (8 pgs)
Description of informal science learning settings, especially GET City program, with a focus on the ways it ensures community relevance, values youth expertise and empowers youth to action.
- Teaching the What as well as the How: Content-Rich OST Professional Development
Benjamin Cooper (8pgs)
Professional development focusing on pedagogy and practical skills as well as engaging educators in the content of afterschool programs as a method for building sustainable and quality afterschool programming.
- Participation as Relational Process: Unpacking Involvement in Social Action and Community Service
Jeffrey N. Jones, Joshua H. Bench, Bethany L. Warnaar, John T. Stroup (8 pages)
Youth experience and engagement in a community service afterschool program viewed as a relational experience, with experiences and engagement being a product of activity, advisors and influence of peers.
- What Afterschool STEM Does Best: How Stakeholders Describe Youth Learning Outcomes
Anita Krishnamurthi, Bronwyn Bevan, Jen Rinehart, Vicky Ragan Coulon (8 pages)
Articulation of how afterschool programs contribute to STEM interest, capacity and values in youth participants.
- The Quest for Quality in Afterschool Science: The Development and Application of a New Tool
Anahit Evoyan Papazian, Gil Gabriel Noam, Ashima Mathur Shah, Caitlin Rufo-McCormick
Allows observers to collect systematic data along 12 quality indicators to pinpoint the strengths and weaknesses of afterschool science learning experiences.