NIOST Celebrates National Physical Fitness and Sports Month
May 13, 2019
May is National Physical Fitness and Sports Month! NIOST research and publications show how out-of-school-time programs can invest carefully to ensure the best physical activity programming.
Our collaborative research informed the national standards for Healthy Eating and Physical Activity, and we are a founding member of the Healthy Out-of-School Time (HOST) Coalition.
- For several years, we studied the BOKS physical activity program, a before-school physical activity program sponsored by Reebok for grades K-2.
- Our research assessed the effectiveness of the Physical Activity and Healthy Eating Standards and Practices.
- The federal government funded one of our studies that provided insight into the mechanisms that promote habits of physical activity in adolescents.
- We provided a comprehensive outcomes research study of After-School Gets Moving, a physical activity training resource tool developed by VIDA Health for after directors to train staff, paraprofessionals, and volunteers who work in after school programs for children in grades K-5.
- Our researchers piloted a surveillance system to identify baseline physical activity practices and the impact of new physical activity quality standards on the OST field.